• Terry Rogers
    2020 - 2021

  • Stephanie P. Anderson
    2019 - 2020

  • Andrew Round
    2018 - 2019

  • David Wolf
    2017 - 2018

  • Cathy Martin
    2015 - 2017

  • Craig Muckle
    2014 - 2015

  • Vania McNeary Edwards
    2013 - 2014

  • Len Lucchi
    2011 - 2013

  • Mark Melvin
    2010 - 2011

  • Brian Shallcross
    2009 - 2010

  • Cathy Woods
    2008 - 2009

  • Toni Adams
    2007 - 2008

  • Vernon Pizzi
    2006 - 2007

  • Art Widmann
    2005 – 2006

  • James Marcos
    2004 – 2005

  • Benjamin Woolery
    2003 – 2004

  • Art Eisenstein
    2002 – 2003

  • Stanley Rodenhauser
    2001 – 2002

  • Kathy Coakley
    2000 – 2001

  • Andrew B. Stephenson
    1999 – 2000

  • Eugene B. Roberts, Jr.
    1998 – 1999

  • Mary Jo Kubeluis
    1997 – 1998

  • Debbie Risher
    1996 – 1997

  • Rusty Owens
    1995 – 1996

  • Tom Moore
    1994 – 1995

  • Joe Puhalla
    1993 – 1994

  • Phil Epstein
    1992 – 1993

  • Norm Cooper
    1991 – 1992

  • Thelma Harvey
    1990 – 1991

  • Dan Melvin
    1989 – 1990

  • Jim Lyons
    1988 – 1989

  • Denis Murray
    1987 – 1988

  • Dee Lighter
    1986 – 1987

  • Pete Cataldo
    1985 – 1986

  • Burt Oliver
    1984 – 1985

  • Fred McKee
    1983 – 1984

A Short History of Bowie

Belair Mansion

Belair Mansion, a Bowie historic landmark, known as the "Home of Governors."

Bowie Train Station Museum

The Town of Bowie (originally Huntington City) grew up around the Train Station.

Belair Stable Museum

The Belair Stable Museum where the only Triple Crown father/son horses.

Newspaper clipping from the Belair Stable Museum

A Newspaper clipping from the Belair Stable Museum.

The history of the city of Bowie is focused on the Belair Estate. Originally part of 10,000 acres deeded to Lord Calvert in 1658, Robert Carvile registered a tract of that land, called Catton, in the 1680s. Catton was renamed Belair early in the 18th Century.

Samuel Ogle, Governor Maryland by crown appointment, bought the land in 1737, and the Belair Mansion was built under his supervision in 1743. Ogle, enamoured of thoroughbred racehorses, established a famous stable.

As plantations developed along the Patuxent River, tobacco farming developed as the primary industry in Prince George's County. In the early 19th century, the farm settlement that eventually became the City of Bowie was called Huntington.

Bowie. The town grew rapidly throughout the 1870s after thePennsylvania Railroad built a branch line to Washington through Huntington. In the 1880s, the town was renamed in honor of Maryland Governor Oden Bowie.

Racehorses. A New Yorker named William Woodward bought the Belair Estate in 1898, enlarged the mansion, and re-established the tradition of breeding racehorses. The Bowie Race Course, built in 1914, was converted to a racehorse training facility after 70 years as a working racecourse.

During the first half of the 20th century, Bowie remained a fairly small town, surviving mainly because of its location between Baltimore and Washington.

In 1957, the Levitt Company bought 2,000 acres of the Belair Estate, ncluding the mansion. After persuading the Bowie City Council to annex the land, Levitt built almost 9,000 moderately-priced houses during the 1960s and 1970s. Two rows of giant tulip polars, planted two centuries earlier along the road from the mansion to what is now Rte. 450, became part of the development.

The new part of Bowie became a community of young professionals who commuted to Washington and Baltimore. The old part of Bowie retained its small town atmosphere, with antique shops housed in turn-of-the-century dwellings.

Belair Mansion. Levitt donated the Belair Mansion to the city in 1964. It is restored and available to the community for tours and special events. Another land-mark, the Whitemarsh Church, originally built by Jesuits in 1742 and then rebuilt after it was destroyed by fire in 1855, still stands near Priest Bridge and Defense Highway.

Community. With the addition of many high-tech businesses, new homes, millions of square feet of office space, and several hotels and shopping centers, Bowie continues to grow as a warm and prosperous community.

Did you know

Maryland can trace its history with the thoroughbred back to the 18th century. It has one of the deepest historical connections to racing and breeding in the country.

While most of us think of Kentucky as the center of the American throughoughbred, Maryland has deeper historical roots than the “Bluegrass State.”

Why Mayland Racing Matters November 1, 2008 2008/11/why-maryland-racing-matters.html

It was James Woodward's nephew, William Woodward Sr., racing under the name Belair Stud Farms, who built a legacy of champions that few could match during the first half of the twentieth century. Under the direction of Woodward, Belair Stud bred two Triple Crown winners, the “father-son” combination of Gallant Fox and Omaha, in addition to, numerous stakes winners and five winners of the Belmont Stakes.

Belair Stable Museum and Maryland Racing October 14, 2010 2010/10/belair-stable-museum-and-maryland-racing.html